Breast implants have been on the rise since the 1960s, thanks to the invention of implantable silicone. While implant surgery has become safer and more advanced today, there are still cases where implants require revision or replacement. This can happen due to several reasons, such as infection, implant rupture, or incorrect size and shape, among others.
In this blog article, we will share what breast implant revision is, who it is for, why it may be necessary, and what to expect from this procedure.
What Is Breast Implant Revision?
Breast implant revision surgery is a procedure that aims to replace or modify existing implants to either improve aesthetic results or repair complications caused by prior breast augmentation. This may involve removing and replacing old implants, changing implant size or type, or lifting and repositioning the implants.
It’s important to note that breast revision surgery is much more complex than a typical breast augmentation procedure, as it involves dealing with existing scar tissue and other issues.
How do you know if you need breast implant revision surgery?
There are different reasons why you may need a breast augmentation modification procedure. However, the only way to know if this would be the right path of treatment for your situation is to speak with a plastic surgeon with a board certification
Some signs that you may need breast implant revision surgery include the following:
- Implant rupture or leakage: If you have saline implants, a break will usually result in a noticeable breast deflation. If you have silicone implants, a rupture may be more challenging to detect but can cause changes in breast shape, firmness, or asymmetry.
- Capsular contracture: This complication can occur when the scar tissue around the implant becomes thick and tight, causing the breast to feel stiff or distorted.
- Implant malposition or displacement: If the implant moves from its original position, it can create asymmetry or an unnatural appearance.
- Changes in breast shape or size: Over time, your breasts may change due to weight fluctuations, pregnancy, or aging, and you may desire a change in implant size or shape.
- Implant dissatisfaction: If you are unhappy with your initial breast augmentation surgery results, you may consider revision surgery to achieve your desired aesthetic outcome.
Risks and complications of breast implant revision surgery
Breast implant revision surgery carries risks and potential complications as with any surgical procedure. Discussing these with your plastic surgeon before the surgery and considering the procedure’s benefits and risks carefully is essential.
Some possible risks and complications of breast implant revision surgery include:
- Infection: Any surgical procedure carries a risk of infection. The doctor may prescribe medications to aid in avoiding this. Still, it is crucial to keep an eye out for indicators of infection like high temperature, irritation, or discharge from where the incision was made.
- Bleeding: Excessive bleeding during or after surgery may require additional procedures or a blood transfusion.
- Anesthesia risks: General anesthesia may cause breathing difficulties, allergic reactions, and heart problems.
Poor wound healing: Smoking and other factors can increase the risk of poor wound healing or scarring.
- Implant complications: As with any breast implant surgery, there is a risk of complications such as capsular contracture, implant rupture or leakage, and implant malposition or displacement.
- Alterations in breast sensitivity: Following the operation, certain females may have either brief or long-lasting changes in breast sensitivity.
- Unfavorable outcomes: Even though most patients are pleased with their breast augmentation modification surgery’s outcomes, there is still a chance that the goal of the procedure might not be obtained.
To avoid or minimize these potential risks and complications, it is important to talk to your plastic surgeon and follow all pre-and post-operative instructions carefully.
How much does breast implant revision cost?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the typical price of a breast implant revision procedure in the United States starts at $3500. However, prices may still differ depending on the situation and other factors such as the doctor’s name and background, the facility’s location, the degree of difficulty of the operation, and the kind of prosthetics used.
If you are interested in getting breast implant revision surgery in the Dallas area, many qualified plastic surgeons can provide a more accurate estimate based on your needs and goals. Dallas Plastic Surgeons will give you a thorough consultation, assess your candidacy for the procedure, and create a customized treatment plan to help you achieve your desired outcome.
Contact us today to learn more about breast implant revision surgery and its potential benefits.
How should I prepare for breast implant revision?
Preparing for breast implant revision surgery involves several steps to ensure you have the best possible outcome. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
1. Contact your plastic surgeon.
The initial step is to make an appointment with a licensed plastic doctor. During this appointment, you will discuss your expectations, history of illness, or any reservations you may have regarding the procedure. Your doctor will assess your situation and suggest the most suitable course of action for your needs.
2. Quit smoking.
It is important to stop using cigarettes at least four weeks before the operation. Smoking affects blood flow and tissue healing so it may cause complications during the operation and the healing period.
3. Avoid certain medications and supplements.
Your surgeon will provide a list of drugs and accessories to avoid before surgery, as some can increase the risk of bleeding or other complications.
4. Arrange for help.
During your recuperation, you might require assistance with chores like sweeping, cooking, and commuting.
5. Pay attention to pre-operative advice.
The doctor will give you detailed instructions that you need to follow days before the procedure, such as what food and drinks to avoid.
6. Recovery plan.
It is also essential to plan for adequate recovery time and follow postoperative instructions closely, including avoiding certain activities and taking prescribed medications as directed.
7. Discuss any concerns.
If you have any concerns or questions about the procedure, discussing these with your surgeon before the surgery is essential.
What are the steps of a breast implant revision procedure?
Breast implant revision surgery is a procedure that involves replacing or adjusting existing breast implants. This surgery typically follows a similar process to initial breast augmentation surgery but with some additional considerations.
Here are the steps involved in a typical breast implant revision procedure.
Step 1: Anesthesia
The first step in a breast implant revision procedure is administering anesthesia. This keeps the patient relaxed and pain-free during the surgery.
Step 2: The incision
The doctor will perform a cut wherever the current implants are after the patient is sedated. The incision may be made in the exact location of the previous surgery or a different area, depending on the reason for the revision surgery. The surgeon will then carefully remove the existing implants and assess the condition of the breast tissue and surrounding structures.
Step 3: Closing the incisions
The doctor will take measures to enhance the form and look of the breasts once the implants are completely withdrawn. This may involve removing excess skin or tissue, reshaping the breast tissue, or adjusting the position of the implants. Once done, the doctor will use stitches or cosmetic adhesives to close the wounds.
Step 4: See the results
The patient will be sent to a recuperation area after the procedure and will be closely monitored as they wake up from sedation. The breast implant revision surgery results will be immediately visible, although it may take some time for the final results to show as the body continues to heal. To guarantee the greatest results, clients will receive comprehensive instructions for healing after surgery and subsequent visits.
What results should I expect after breast implant revision?
Breast implant revision surgeries can result in varying outcomes, depending on factors such as the specific situation, the reason for the modification, and the doctor’s techniques. However, in general, patients can expect to achieve several potential benefits from this procedure, including:
- Improved breast symmetry: Breast implant revision surgery can help improve the balance of the breasts, ensuring that they are more balanced and aesthetically pleasing.
- Enhanced breast shape: By removing or adjusting existing implants and reshaping the breast tissue, breast implant revision surgery can create a more desirable breast shape.
- Improved implant position: Breast implant revision surgery can also help adjust the placement of existing implants, ensuring that they are correctly centered and aligned with the natural contours of the breasts.
- Increased comfort: If the original implants were causing discomfort or pain, breast implant revision surgery can help alleviate these symptoms and improve overall comfort.
- Improved confidence and self-esteem: With a more aesthetically pleasing breast after the revision procedure, many patients experience a boost in confidence and self-esteem.
Is Breast Implant Revision Right for You?
After learning more about breast augmentation modification, the next phase is determining if it is the best option for you. Your goals as well as any possible risks related to the treatment will eventually determine your final choice. In order to decide what’s best for you, it’s crucial to address these factors with your doctor.
If you think breast augmentation modification is the best option for you, arrange an appointment with an accredited plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure. You can always discuss the finest solutions for your circumstance with Dallas plastic surgeons.
Contact Dallas Plastic Surgeons today to learn more about breast implant revision surgery and start your journey to feeling confident again!